Friday 31 December 2010

Vintage wine


Dated corks from vintage wine bottles to anticipate festivities this evening.  As far as I can see, there is nothing there more recent than 2003, nor older than 1995.  I wonder who drank them all?

Wines from France are often labelled, "Mise en bouteille au château" but this no longer implies any great château with its own bottling plant.  Nowadays trucks come by smaller domaines which produce smaller volumes of wine and bottle the wine for them.  "Mis en bouteille au domaine", "Mis en bouteille à la propriété" both mean the same. 

Château, domaine, propriété, clos - all are much the same.  There is no necessity for there to be an actual château for the word to be used on a label.  For some reason though, "clos" is reserved for estates that are surrounded by a stone wall.



This is a post for Postcard Friday, which is hosted by Beth Niquette at The Best Hearts are Crunchy.

11 comments:

  1. I like synthetic corks. They are much more user friendly than real corks when removing them. Have a wonderful new years eve and hope your new year is filled with joy and prosperity
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Odie, thank you, and a great New Year to you too. I prefer screw caps to anything but not everywhere will accept that they can be as good as a proper cork.

    @Debs, cheers and good health to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila: Have the happiest of new years - I hope you get a chance to pop some corks tonight! Went to post on PFF, but it doesn't seem to be there. Did you ever get the package I sent you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to see the labels that went with all those bottles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting card and information. Have a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy Sheila
    Happy PFF to you .
    Wonderful post thank you for sharing .
    May 2011 be filled with all the very best life has to offfer you each day in the New Year.

    Until next time
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish you and your family a very happy and prosperous new year, 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very informative - I 'm thinkin I should pay more attention to what I'm drinkin'! Have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a bag of corks I picked up at a thrift store I will have to look at them now!

    Thanks for sharing Happy PFF
    & HAPPY NEW YEAR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year!
    I like the screw tops too. I've also bought a couple of bottles with glass corks. I like those a lot, but you rarely see them.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my postcard collection! I love hearing what you think of the cards - but spam WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...